Tips To Tasty Cooking:
- Here goes my first tip – Have cooking as a passion and not simply as need of the hour J
- Use FRESH vegetables, fruits and other ingredients. This is my second and a very important tip, which opens your door to tasty food.
- And the third one is here – Don’t be so stingy in using milkmaid, sugar, egg, milk, fresh cream etc while making puddings or desserts. In the first place you need to decide whether you need a tasty pudding or a healthy one. If you are looking for a healthy one, forget this tip.
- Have you added to many tomatoes to a curry and it turned out a bit sour? Stop worrying and add 4-5 cubes of ground breadcrumbs along with ½ teaspoon of sugar to the curry and mix well.
- To avoid sticky-sticky rice, soak washed rice in water for at least ten minutes before cooking. A teaspoon of oil can be added to get separate grains of cooked rice.
- To thicken any gravy, add corn flour to it. To avoid lumps, mix the corn flour in water before adding. It is an excellent thickening agent. Running out of corn flour, add maida/all purpose flour instead.
- While sauteing onions, add a little bit of salt. Salt will absorb the moisture content and helps in faster sautéing.
- If you boil vegetables in water, do not throw the water, keep it to make gravies.
- Melt gelatin in ½ cup ice water. Now double boil for 2-3 minutes or till gelatin melts properly. This is the best way to melt gelatin and to avoid lumps.
- To avoid browning of apples after cutting, apply a little lemon juice on the cut surface. The apples will stay and look fresh for a longer time.
- Remove the stems of green chillies while storing them. Helps them stay fresh for long.
- Keep grated coconut in freezer in a closed container. It will last longer. Grate the coconut on weekends and keep it in freezer. Working wives will find your weekdays comparatively easier J
- Dump shallots/onions in water for few minutes before peeling. Helps in speedy and easier peeling.
- Keep the shallots in the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes before chopping. Here goes tear-free shallots.
- Get watermelons on weekends, cut the flesh into smaller pieces and keep it in refrigerator. Back from office, you will get a refreshing drink before you start your evening cooking session.
- Dip the bacon strips in cold water before cooking, to prevent bacon from curling.
- If you want to store fish for more than a day, first clean it; rub it with salt, turmeric, and then freeze. It will stay fresh.