Preparation time: 45 minutes | Difficulty Level: Easy
- Beef – ½ kg (cut into small pieces)
- Onion (finely chopped) – ½ of a medium sized one
- Ginger (finely chopped) – ½ inch piece
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 5 cloves
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Pepper powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – As needed
- Oil – As needed
For Vindaloo Paste
- Cumin seeds – ½ tablespoon
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Black pepper corns – ½ teaspoon
- Seeds from 3 green cardamom pods (Peel off the skin and take the seeds alone)
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Black mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sugar – ¼ teaspoon
- Vinegar – 2 tablespoon
- Clean the beef pieces. Marinate them with pepper powder and enough salt.
- In a spice grinder, grind cumin seeds, dry red chillies, pepper corns, cardamom seeds, fenugreek and mustard seeds into a fine powder.
- Add vinegar and sugar to this powder. Mix well. You can do this in spice grinder bowl itself. Keep this paste aside.
- Add little bit of oil to a pressure cooker and fry the chopped onions till it starts turning brown. Drain the fried onions and add it to the spice grinder bowl. Grind the fried onions together with spice paste. We need to get a coarse paste of onions and spice.
- Now add the beef pieces to the pressure cooker. Add another tablepoon of oil if needed. Fry the beef pices for few minutes or till the flesh color fades. Move the beef to another vessel along with the water that has oozed out from the beef.
- Add little more oil to the pressure pan. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in turmeric and coriander powder. Stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add the spice-onion paste and stir fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the beef pieces along with the oozed water to the pan. Mix well. Add salt. Add more water if needed and pressure cook till the beef gets cooked well.
- Once it is cooked you can cook it uncovered for few more minutes until it reaches the required consistency.
- Serve hot with rice / roti.