Cherupayar thoran is very easy to make and is highly nutritious. A very good side dish for red rice.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes | Difficulty Level: Medium
- Green gram – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Green Chilly – 2
- Garlic – 7-8 pods (medium sized)
- Shallots – 7 pods (medium sized)
- Dried Red Chilly – 3
- Curry leaves – 10-12 leaves
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Chilly powder – 1 teaspoon (scooped)
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Oil – 3-4 tablespoons
- Salt – As needed
- Wash and drain green gram. Pressure cook the same adding salt. Keep it aside.
- Crush garlic and shallots in mortar and pestle. slice the green chillies. Slit the dried red chillies into two.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add the crushed garlic and shallots. Add green chillies, curry leaves and dried red chillies. Saute it for two minutes.
- Add turmeric and chilly powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add grated coconut. Stir it well.
- Now add the cooked green gram. Mix well. Cover and heat on low flame till it steams. Add pepper powder if you like.
Can be served with hot rice.