An authentic Kerala Christian Recipe ! This is all about chicken/Potatoes/Carrots in creamy coconut gravy.
Preparation time: 60 minutes | Difficulty Level: Medium
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Potato – 1 medium (diced)
- Carrot – 1 medium sized (diced) – This is optional
- Onion – 2 medium sized (chopped)
- Garlic – 6-8 pods
- Ginger – ½” piece
- Green chilly – 5-6 (slit)
- Curry leaves – 1 stem
- Black pepper – 15
- Cinnamon – 2″ piece
- Cardamom – 5
- Clove – 5
- Coconut Milk (Thin) – 2-3 cups
- Coconut Milk (Medium Thick) – 1 cup
- Coconut Milk (Thick) – 1 cup
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut Oil – As needed
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Cashew-nuts – As needed (I added around 10)
- Raisins – As needed (I added around 10-15)
- Salt – As needed
- Add ghee to a thick bottomed pan. Fry the raisins and cashew-nuts separately and keep it aside.
- To the same pan add coconut oil and ghee. Add mustard seeds and whole black pepper and let it splutter. I add 1 teaspoon ghee to the oil as it enhances the taste.
- Add the spices now – Cinnamon, cardamom and clove. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chopped onions, garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. Add salt. Saute for few minutes till the onion slightly turns brown.
- Add diced potatoes, carrots (this is optional) and chicken pieces. Stir fry for few minutes. Or you can hold on adding carrots till chicken and potato gets half cooked, so that till will not get over cooked.
- Add thin coconut milk. Let chicken and potato get cooked well. Taste it once and add salt if needed. Don’t go by the quantity given for thin coconut milk. We are trying to cook chicken in coconut milk instead of water. You need to add water/coconut milk needed for cooking chicken and potatoes.
- Once it is almost cooked, you can add medium thick coconut milk. If you feel that the stew needs to be bit more thicker, you can add little bit of maida (All purpose flour) / rice flour / corn flour mixed in water. If you have Appam dough, you can add 1 tablespoon to get the right consistency.
- Last step is to add thick coconut milk. Do not allow it to boil after the thick coconut milk has been added.
- Add the fried raisins and cashew-nuts kept aside.
Chicken stew is ready and can be served with Appam or bread.