This is my first trial with mussels/kakka irachi. To be frank, I was totally fed up with the process of cleaning mussels. Hard work paid off well. It came out well and was damn tasty. Give it a try if you are patient enough.
Preparation time: 30 minutes | Difficulty Level: Easy | Serves: 4-5
- Kakka Irachi/Clam – 250gms
- Shallots (chopped) – 1 cup (25-30 pods)
- Ginger (chopped) – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic (chopped) – 12 pods
- Green chillies (chopped) – 4
- curry leaves – 2 stem
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tablespoon
- Pepper powder – ½ tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – A pinch
- Vinegar – ½ teaspoon + ½ tablespoon for cleaning mussels
- Salt – As needed
- Oil – As needed
- Clean and rinse mussels/clams well. You can add salt and ½ tablespoon vinegar while washing the clams.
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Add chopped garlic, and ginger and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the chopped shallots, green chillies and curry leaves. Add salt and sauté well.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, and pepper powder. Stir well and fry it for 1-2 minutes.
- Now drain water off the clams and add it to the pan. Mix well and let it cook on medium flame. Add ½ to ¾ cup water for the clams to cook well.
- When it is cooked properly, add vinegar and mix well.
- Stir fry until they turn brown and crispy, adding more oil if required.
- Serve hot with rice.