Preparation time: 25 minutes | Difficulty Level: Easy | Serves: 5-7
- Moong Dal / Cheru payar parippu – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt – To Taste
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 2 to 3 medium sized
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Ghee/Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Shallots – 3 – 4
- Dried Red Chillies – 3- 4
- Curry Leaves – 1 stem
- Wash moong dal in clean water and pressure cook adding 4 cups of water and salt. Doesn’t really matter even if its slightly over cooked. Otherwise mash it really well. I cooked for almost 3 whistles on high flame.
- While dal is getting cooked, we can get the coconut paste ready. Grind grated coconut, green chillies, turmeric and cumin to a fine paste.
- Add the coconut paste to cooked dal and cook on medium flame. Check for salt and adjust the consistency.
- Now, time to get seasoning done. Take another pan and add ghee. Splutter mustard seeds. Add chopped shallots, curry leaves. When the shallots starts turning brown, add dried red chillies. When done, pour over cooked dal. If you prefer, you can use coconut oil instead of ghee.
- Serve hot with rice. You can drizzle some ghee over dal while serving.