Another delicacy from God’s Own Country !!!
Preparation time: 30 minutes | Difficulty Level: Easy
- Fish (Natholi/Kozhuva/anchovies) – 250 gms (cleaned and each cut into two breadth wise)
- Grated coconut – 2 cup
- Green chilly – 7-8 (or you can use Kanthari Mulaku – A type of small sized chilly)
- Shallots – 10 pods
- Tamarind extract – As needed (I used 5 tablespoons of slightly diluted extract.)
- Curry Leaves – 1 stem
- Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Vinegar – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – As needed
- Banana Leaf
- Grind coconut, chilly or kanthari mulak, shallots, salt to a fine paste. Add just enough water to grind this.
- Add tamarind extract. The quantity to be added can be decided based on your taste. To make the tamarind extract, you can take 2 lemon sized tamarind balls, add some water, squeeze with hand and heat it slightly.
- Mix this paste with the fish pieces using hand or using a spoon.
- Mix in the curry leaves.
- Add coconut oil and vinegar and mix well.
- Now heat a flat pan (I used a non-stick pan. A clay pot will be better) and place the banana leaf (I normally add 2 leaves) onto it now put the mixture on top of this banana leaf and flatten using hand and cover this with another piece of banana leaf (For covering also I used 2 leaves; to be on the safer side, even if one breaks, I have another to hold my fish and gravy).
- Cook on low flame for few minutes. Now turn it to the other side so that the other side is also cooked.
- Serve hot.