Relishing Kerala Style Chicken Roast !!
Preparation time: 40 minutes | Difficulty Level: Medium
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Onion (chopped) – 2
- Potato (sliced into thin long pieces) – 1
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Salt – As needed
- Tomato (chopped) – 1
- Green chilly (slit) – 2
- Ginger – ½ inch piece
- Garlic – 5 pods
- Curry leaves – 2 stem
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Kashmiri Chilly Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 3 tablespoons
- Garam masala – ½ tablespoon
- Coconut oil – As needed
- Salt – As needed
- Clean the chicken pieces and marinate with ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, pepper, turmeric and salt. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Peel and cut the potato into thin long pieces into a bowl of water. Add salt and keep it aside.
- Now fry the chicken pieces in excess coconut oil and drain on a tissue paper. Keep this aside.
- Take another non-stick pan and heat 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil. Sauté chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies for 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Add curry leaves and a handful of chopped onion. Add salt and sauté for few more minutes. Now add the chopped tomatoes and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Mix well. Add oil if needed and stir for few minutes on medium flame. Stir intermittently and fry the masala till it turns slightly brown. Take care not to get it burnt.
- Add ½ cup water and stir the masala to blend in properly. Stir till oil separates from the masala mix.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and mix well. Add ½ to 1 cup water for gravy. Let it boil. Take off the flame when it is done and keep aside.
- Now we need to fry the chopped onion in coconut oil. Add little bit of salt. Add the fried onions to the chicken gravy.
- Drain the potato pieces from the water and fry in coconut oil adding little bit salt. Add to the chicken gravy and serve hot.
Can be served with bread, rice or roti.