A simple easy elegant and healthy dish from God’s Own Country. Normally I say “healthy” and “tasty” are not part of the same package. You drop one you get the other and vice versa. But for this dish, it is gonna break the rules !
- Ash gourd (peeled and cubed) – 2 cups
- Red beans (vanpayar) – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies – 3-4
- Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 stem
- Salt – To Taste
- Coconut Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Water – Just enough to cook Ash gourd and red beans
- Cook red beans adding salt and water. Make sure it doesn’t get over cooked. Let the extra water evaporate and keep this aside. If you soak red beans in water for 6-7 hours, it will get cooked faster.
- Cook cubed ash gourd and slit green chillies adding bit of water. Add salt. Cook well and the let the water evaporate.
- Add cooked red beans to this. Add curry leaves. Add thin coconut milk and cook on medium flame.
- When it almost reaches the consistency needed, add thick coconut milk. Don’t let it boil after adding thick coconut milk. Take it off the flame when it just begins to boil.
- Add coconut oil. Stir well and serve hot.