Pachadi is a nice blend of a vegetable or a fruit in coconut yogurt based sauce. This is an authentic kerala side dish which has its own place for the kerala-style festive lunch served on plantain leaves.
Pineapple pachadi is slightly sweet and tangy … And one of my personal favorites !!
- Pineapple (chopped to 1 inch thin-long slices) – 3.5 cups
- Yogurt – 1 cup + 1/4 cup
- Coconut (grated) – 1/3 cup
- Shallots – 2 pods
- Green chilly (one chilly cut into 3-4 pieces) – 4-5
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin – 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon (This is optional. Turmeric is what gives pale-yellow tint to this dish.)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Water – As needed
- Salt – To Taste
- Red chilly (slit) – 2
- Coconut oil – For seasoning
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 4-5 leaves
- Cook the pineapple and chopped green chillies on medium flame, till it softens. If needed add bit of water. Cook till whole of water evaporates. Switch off the stove.
- Meantime, lets get the ingredients ready for coconut paste. Add grated coconut, cumin, mustard seeds (1/2 teaspoon), yogurt, shallots, and ginger in a blender bowl. Do not grind now. We need to add few slices of cooked pineapple also to this. So wait till pineapple gets cooked.
- Once the pineapple gets ready, add few slices of pineapple to the blender bowl. I added around 10-12 slices, It depends on the sweetness of the pineapple. The whole idea here is to get the pineapple flavor and slight sweetness to the coconut-yogurt mix. You can add pineapple slices incrementally. Add few slices, blend once, taste and if needed add more.
- We are almost done. Add coconut-yogurt paste to the cooked pineapple. Put it on medium flame. Add turmeric. Cook till the coconut gets cooked and the raw taste disappears. Don’t let it boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Take another thick bottomed pan for seasoning. Add coconut oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Slowly add curry leaves and then sliced red chillies. Take care not to burn red chillies.
- Pour the seasoning over pineapple-coconut-yogurt mix. Pineapple pachadi is ready to be served.
- Ensure that yogurt is not at all sour.
- While cooking pineapples with coconut-yogurt mix, if needed, you can add water to adjust the consistency.