Vindaloo is an Indian curry dish from the region of Goa. Though the Vindaloo as we know it comes from Goa in India, it is said to be derived from a Portuguese dish. In my memories Vindaloo was a delicacy served only for functions or when you have guests. And to my surprise I found that it is very easy to make.
Preparation time: 1.5 hours (You need to marinate for 1 hour. Cooking time is just half an hour) | Difficulty Level: Medium
- Pork – ½ kg (sliced into medium sized pieces)
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1½ tablespoon
- Mustard – ¾ tablespoon
- Cumin – ¼ teaspoon
- Pepper corns – ½ teaspoon
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 cm piece
- Cloves – 3
- Garlic – 6-8 cloves
- Ginger – 1½ cm piece
- Shallots – 6-8
- Vinegar – 1½ tablespoon
- Tomato – ½ of a medium sized one.
- Onion – ½ (finely chopped)
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar – ¼ teaspoon
- Oil – As needed (I used 1 tablespoon)
- Salt – As needed
- Grind mustard, cumin, pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and Kashmiri chilly powder in a mixer to a fine paste.
- Add ginger, garlic, shallots, vinegar and tomato to the paste. If needed little bit of water and grind it again to a finely ground paste. Add salt also.
- Marinate the pork with the above mentioned paste. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Add oil to a pressure cooker and sauté onions till it turns translucent.
- Add turmeric. Now add the marinated pork. Add salt if needed. Stir well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook the pork. Cook till it is well done. I had to cook it for 6 whistles.