This is not in my favorites list. But curious to know the making.
Preparation Time : 30 – 40 minutes | Difficulty Level: Medium
- Black Eyed Bean / Vanpayar (cooked) – 1½ cup
- Yellow pumpkin / Mathanga – 500 gms
- Salt – As needed
- Cumin – ½ teaspoon
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Shallots – 4 pods
- Green chilly – 2
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Chilly powder – 1 teaspoon.
- Coconut oil – As needed
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Dried red chilly – 3
- Curry leaves – 1 stem
- Grated coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Grind coarsely grated coconut (1 cup), cumin, garlic, shallots,green chilly, turmeric, chilly powder in a mixer. Keep it aside.
- Peel the skin off and remove the seeds from the pumpkin. Slice into cubes. Cook pumpkin in pressure cooker adding salt and 2 cups (approximately) water. I cooked it on high flame for around 10 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and add the cooked Black Eyed Beans.
- Add the ground coconut mix also and stir well. Mash the pumpkin slightly while stirring. Take care not to mash it fully.
- Add coconut oil to a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add dried red chillies and curry leaves. Stir it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of grated coconut and stir it till the coconut turns brown.
- Add it to the pressure cooker.
Yellow Pumpkin Erissery is ready to be served. Serve hot with rice.