Preparation time: 30 minutes | Difficulty Level: Easy | Serves: 5 – 7
- Tomatoes – 2 (cubed)
- Green Chilly – 2
- Garlic – 5 pods
- Water – 3.5 cups + 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Curry Leaves – 1 stem
- Tamarind – 1 gooseberry sized
- Kashmiri Chilly Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Powdered Cumin – 1/8 teaspoon
- Powdered Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 2 pinches
- Coriander leaves – A few
- Oil – As needed
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Salt – As Needed
- Coconut Oil – As needed
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Shallots – 3-4
- Dried Red Chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – few leaves
- Soak tamarind in half cup hot water. We will use this later.
- Crush ginger, green chillies and garlic.
- Take a pan. Add some oil. Add crushed ginger, garlic and green chillies. Add cubed tomatoes. Stir well for few minutes. Add salt.
- Add turmeric and chilly powder. Saute for some time.
- Add water and cook covered.
- When it get cooked, add tamarind extract. Taste once. Adjust salt, tamarind etc.
- Now add powdered pepper, cumin and asafoetida. Mix well and switch off flame.
- Take another pan. Add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add chopped shallots, curry leaves and dried red chillies.
- Pour it over rasam. Add few corinader leaves. serve hot with rice.