Ghee Rice, served with Chicken or Mutton gravy makes a rich lunch. This recipe serves 4.
For Cooking Rice
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Onions (thinly sliced) – 1 medium
- Cinnamon – 2″ piece
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 2
- Fennel Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Star Anise – 1
- Bay leaves – 2
- Water – 4 cups (depending on the Basmati Rice)
- Salt – To taste
- Ghee – approximately 2 tablespoon
- Cashews – ½ cup
- Raisins – ¼ cup
- Shallots – 1 cup
- Wash and drain the Basmati rice and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure pan. When the ghee is hot, add fennel seeds, cinnamon, bay leaves, cardamom, cloves and star anise. Saute for 2-3 minutes till fragrant.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the drained rice to the pan and stir fry till the rice starts changing color and gets separated from each other.
- Add water to the pan along. Add salt and mix well. Bring it to a boil. The amount of water you need to add depends on the type of rice that you are using. Normally for Basmati rice, we add 2 cups water for 1 cup of rice. This information will be written on the rice packet.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover the pan. Cook for around 10 minutes until the rice is cooked and all water has been absorbed.
- Heat ghee in another frying pan. Add raisins and fry till it becomes plump. Keep it aside.
- Fry the cashew nuts and keep aside.
- Fry the thinly sliced shallots till it becomes crispy. Don’t forget to add salt.
- Add half of the fried cashews, raisins and shallots to the cooked rice and mix everything gently.
- Garnish the Rice with the remaining fried cashews, raisins and onions.
Serve with a non-veg gravy, pappad, salad and a pickle. Since my family doesn’t like chicken gravy, I served with dry chicken fry.